Monday, December 1, 2008

8n08 is Complete!

I knew a little bit about wikis from the OLC Chapter Conference I attended, but I confess I haven't been using them much. I really didn't like the uncyclopedia -- my time is too valuable to waste it with misinformation (or maybe I just don't have a sense of humor anymore?). I really did enjoy wikihow and need to remember to check it out more often.

Another aspect of wikis that our exercise didn't cover is that they can be helpful when planning a group project. For instance we could create a collection wiki for Buckeye that anyone could update when they are working on an area of the collection -- weeding or moving things and everyone can contribute. Although in our case just posting a paper works, but for projects in multiple buildings it might make sense.

http://www.libsuccess.org/index.php?title=Main_Page is a great library wiki.

Exercise 8 was for social networking and I do have a (very boring) myspace I created ages ago primarily to see what my kids' friends had on their pages. I also have a Facebook and when I started it I would check it daily. Now I'm lucky if I look at it once a week. I would rather curl up with a good book! I joined linkedin awhile ago and my husband has used it for years to stay in touch with people as he has changed jobs frequently. I have had my shelfari account for about 6 months and love it! In fact, I just realized that I need to go and add my most recent read....

No comments: